The next time you leave town, here are a few things to think about. These are five mistakes that can encourage burglars to break in:
- Leaving lights on when you’re not home multiple days in a row could make it obvious no one’s home. It’s fine if it’s just one night or if they’re on a timer.
- Leaving a key under the mat, that’s the first place they’ll check. Pretty much any hiding spot is better.
- Burglars can see your big-ticket items from the street if you leave your blinds open.
- Don’t leave the box outside if you buy something expensive. When you get a new flat screen TV, don’t let the box sit out by your trash and definitely don’t leave it there when you’re out of town.
- Most burglars won’t carry a ladder around with them. If there’s easy access to one they’re more likely to target your home. Especially if you left an upstairs window open.